If a minor discloses acts of sexual abuse, sexual coercion, or exposure to sexual materials, please follow the below steps:
- File a police report where the act(s) occurred. They will decide if they are going to open an investigation. Sexual abuse is a crime!
- If the minor is the suspected perpetrator age 12 or over, you must fie a police report so that the behavior can be investigated.
- If a parent, guardian, or other adult perpetrated the abuse, a DCS report must also be made.
- If an investigation is opened, police will likely inform DCS and schedule a forensic interview.
- For minors who have perpetrated, they may be scheduled for a psychosexual evaluation to determine risk and motivations for the abuse.
- Pursue trauma-focused counseling for the victim by a qualified sexual abuse specialist.
Sexual abuse is a crime and needs to be taken seriously!